Professor Guo can be contacted at:
The Institute of Optics
University of Rochester
275 Hutchison Road
Rochester, NY 14627-0186
Phone: (585) 275-2134
Fax: (585) 244-4936
Chunlei Guo is a full professor in The Institute of Optics at University of Rochester. His research is in the area of femtosecond laser-matter interactions at high intensities
He received his Ph.D. in Physics from University of Connecticut in 1999, and was later named one of the University's 40 Under 40 Outstanding Alumni. His postdoctoral training was at Los Alamos National Laboratory from 1999 to 2001, where his work was awarded the Postdoctoral Publication Prize in Experimental Sciences. He joined the faculty of University of Rochester in 2001.
His research at Rochester led to the discoveries of the so-called Black and Colored Metals, which may find a broad range of technological applications and have been covered extensively by the media (read more).
He is an elected Fellow for both American Physical Society and Optical Society of America. He has authored well over 100 refereed journal articles and has been playing an active role in serving the scientific community; below are some examples:
- Editor, Light: Science & Applications (Nature Pub.), 2013-
- Editorial board, Laser in Materials Processing and Manufacturing (Springer), 2013-
- Section Editor, Optics Encyclopedia (Wiley), 2013 -
- Guest Editor, Energy Express Focus Issue on Laser Ignition (OSA), 2013
- Associate Editor, Optics Express, 2009-
- Program Committee: Int'l Conf. on Photonics, Optics and Laser Technology, 2013.
- General Chair: 8th Interational Conference on Photo-Excited Processes and Applications, 2012
- Co-chair: PIERS on femtosecond laser surface nanostructuring of materials, 2012.
- Program Committee: 2012 IEEE/ICME Int'l Conf. on Complex Medical Engineering
- Guest Editor, Appl. Phys. B (Springer) 2012-13.
- Steering committee: ICPEPA conferences 2010 -
- Editorial board, Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanomanufacturing
- Editorial board, Laser Chemistry
- Organizing Committee: 1st Forum on Trends in Nano-Manufacturing, 2011.
- Chair: The Short Wavelength and High Field Physics Technical Group, Optical Society of America (2005-07).
- Chair: Symposium on 20 Years of Chirped Pulse Amplifier (2006).
- Technical Program Committee: 2007 CLEO.
- Tech Program Committee: Conf. on Appl. of High Fields & Short Wavelength Sources XII (2007).
- Ad Hoc committee: 2006 OSA Annual Meeting.
- Vice chair: The Short Wavelength and High Field Physics Technical Group, OSA (2004-2005).
- Graduate level: Principles of Lasers
- Graduate & Undergraduate level: Optics Laboratory
- Undergraduate level: Optoelectronics; Laser Systems
- Professional education: Modern Laser Technology
- Department Colloqium coordinator
- Graduate Admission Committee member
- Optics Liason of National Research Council Ranking Survey